Split air conditioners shall be installed as per the procedure given below.
- The outside unit shall be installed on a place solid enough to bear the weight and vibration of the unit, where the operation sounds will not be amplified.
- The location shall be such that the hot air discharged from the unit, or the operation sounds may not disturb the surroundings.
- All piping, fittings, and insulation shall then be installed as per manufacturer’s requirements.
- The units shall be installed in level and plumb.
- Evaporator-fan components shall be installed using manufacturer’s standard mounting devices securely fastened to building structure.
- Refrigerant tubing and fittings shall then be installed and connected.
- The clearance for maintenance shall be maintained while selecting the location.
- Sufficient space for air passage around the unit for air inlet and the air outlet shall be provided.
- The site shall be free from the possibility of flammable gas leakage in a nearby place.
- The inside and outside unit’s power cords and inter-unit wire shall preferably be kept at least 3 m away from television and radio sets to avoid interference to images and sounds.
- After piping has been completed, the refrigerant piping system shall be pressure tested at a pressure of 21 kg/cm² on the high side and 10 kg/cm² on the low side.
- The pressure shall be maintained on the system for a minimum of 12 h.
- The system shall be evacuated when the surrounding ambient air is not less than 16°C.
- A minimum vacuum of 500 microns of Hg shall be pulled on the system and maintained for 12 h. The system shall be charged as recommended by the equipment manufacturer.
- Start-up – Manufacturer or factory-authorized service representative shall be engaged to perform start-up service. Manufacturer shall provide on-site start-up and commissioning assistance through job completion.
Installation and start-up checks shall be completed according to manufacturer’s written instructions.