If you want to know about the principles of design or element of design or origin of architecture, please click the link.
A study of the theory subject cannot be complete without an understanding of the objectives that subject. Here, the objective is not of the study of the subject but the need to understand the objectives of the subject.
Objectives, targets or reasons for Design can be interpreted at both the physical and the metaphysical planes. The physical objectives are related to the business of producing designs while the metaphysical objectives will be related to the philosophy of creativity – an abstract phenomenon.
Various artists, designers and creators could be in the field of designing for different reasons. All of them, however, to be true to their profession will have to appreciate the inherent philosophical needs of design.
It may not be sufficient to treat design as just a physical activity for the purpose of pleasure and business. There has to be a higher motive for ‘designing’.
Ponder over the question – why does an artist paint, why does a musician create music ……?
This higher motive could be giving sensory pleasure making a statement. How can these motives be achieved?
- These could be achieved by making the artist and the viewer/listener “happy”.
- In visual design the objective would be to provide ‘visual delight’.
- Real “Happiness” will come from viewing or listening to something that is Beautiful, Truthful and Good.
- Beauty, Truth and Goodness can thus be seen as the abstract objectives of Visual Design.
There could be other objectives that could be offshoots of these such as perfection, honesty, etc. and these would be dependent on the artist and the medium.
- Beauty can be seen as a combination of qualities in an object or a composition that delight the sight or other senses by the shape, proportion, color or other physical attributes.
- Beauty can also be seen as that which is morally or intellectually impressing charming or satisfactory.
- Anything that has allure, charm, grace, elegance, loveliness, exquisiteness can also be called beautiful.
Here are some examples of Beauty from different facets of life.
i) Beauty in nature
ii) Beautiful People
iii) Beauty in design Building
iv) Beauty in sculpture
- To be good is to have the right qualities as accepted by a particular culture, society and at a particular time.
- To be good is to be satisfactory and adequate meeting the expected conditions.
- Goodness is a virtuous quality.
- Goodness is related to excellence, merit, value and worth of an object or an act.
- Goodness also relates to honesty, integrity and merit besides righteousness and uprightness.
- Truth is the quality of being in accordance with fact or reality not false or erroneous and in accordance with reason or correct principles or accepted standard.
- Truthful is that which is genuine, showing life as it is and adhering faithfully to that which is right.
- Truthful is correct, honest, precise, realistic, sincere, and trustworthy.
- Truth is godly and divine.
- Students of architecture would need to appreciate that ‘Design’ for them would have much greater ramifications. ‘Architectural Design’, besides providing visual delight, will have to satisfy the conditions of functionality, structural and expressional strength, economy, sociology, culture, climate, psychology related to the architectural project.
The objective of design is to solve problems and meet the needs and requirements of users through the creation of visually appealing and functional products, spaces, or systems. It involves the use of creative thinking and problem-solving skills to develop effective solutions that are aesthetically pleasing and serve a purpose.